How is weight determined and can it be changed?

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:09 AM
It seems that weight is based on the new-ness of the tag. I'd like it to be based on the number of uses. Is this possible?
Coordinator
Jun 6, 2015 at 4:15 PM
efficiondave wrote:
It seems that weight is based on the new-ness of the tag. I'd like it to be based on the number of uses. Is this possible?
All tag weights are already based on the usage of the tags, depending on which tag you have chosen of course.
Jun 8, 2015 at 8:26 PM
For Tag Source, we are using a specific vocabulary from DNN's Taxonomy and it's definitely not weighted by usage. What am I missing?
Coordinator
Jun 10, 2015 at 10:52 AM
Ok the problem is for the tags (terms) from the dnn taxonomy feature, the weight is provided from the dnn database via the dnn api. As it turns out that feature is at the moment unused and the weight is always 0.

And there is no way to retrieve the number of uses within the portal, because its not saved anywhere.

The only way to get this working would be to request this as feature in dnn.
Jun 10, 2015 at 9:42 PM
I'm fine with populating the field myself but I tried doing that manually through SQL and that worked except that a weight of 0 was becoming 24. If I specified a non-zero weight, it displayed properly.
Jun 24, 2015 at 9:42 PM
Edited Jun 24, 2015 at 9:45 PM
After further study, It's actually displaying the ID of the newest term and any term with a weight of 0 rather than it's actual weight.
Jun 24, 2015 at 9:58 PM
Looking at the code it was obviously deliberately coded to do exactly that... I don't get why.
Coordinator
Jun 27, 2015 at 11:06 AM
The reason why i have chosen to use the id as weight if the weight is 0 to make sure that the terms are displayed. Otherwise it would never show any tags since all terms are zero by default, and as i mentioned above this value never changes.

If you have a better idea how to handle that let me know, or feel free to send in a pull request.